The Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS) offers support for all students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and mental health issues at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
QMUL has worked with DisabledGo in order to produce Access Guides for our campuses. The Access Guide for the Disability and Dyslexia Service is available here. Other QMUL access guides are available here.
Are you a new QMUL student? Are you a Study Needs Assessor working with students from QMUL?
If so, please see our "Information for new students and for Disabled Students’ Allowances Study Needs Assessors" page, which highlights recent changes to Disabled Students' Allowance and how those changes may effect you. It is likely that further changes will follow, at which time this page will be updated.
QMUL Student Survey Results
In the most recent survey of student satisfaction at Queen Mary University of London, the Queen Mary Student Survey (QMSS) recorded the Disability and Dyslexia Service as having an overall satisfaction rate of 88.2%. In addition to this, DDS carries out our own student survey each year. Results of our most recent survey can be found here.
Our highly experienced team of staff offer advice, guidance and support in the following areas:
- Finding out if you have a specific learning difficulty like dyslexia
- Applying for funding through the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)
- Arranging DSA assessments of need
- Special arrangements in examinations
- Accessing loaned equipment (e.g. digital recorders)
- Specialist one-to-one "study skills" tuition
- Ensuring access to course materials in alternative formats (e.g. Braille)
- Providing educational support workers (e.g. note-takers, readers, library assistants)
- Mentoring support for students with mental health issues and conditions on the autistic spectrum.
We support all QMUL students: full-time, part-time, undergraduate, postgraduate, UK and international at all campuses and all sites. We also offer training for staff, please contact us for information.
The DDS is based on the second floor of the Bancroft Building at the Mile End Campus.
If you think that we might be able to support you, please do not hesitate to contact us via email.